Why does maskne happen?
Masks are a crucial way to keep us safe from illness, but it comes with an unwanted side effect. The bacteria on our skin and makeup tends to get trapped on our faces for longer periods of time, and when combined with the friction of the mask rubbing against our skin, it can make our skin extremely irritated.
How do I prevent maskne?Acne breakouts from face masks might seem like they're bound to happen, but they're actually very easy to prevent. When wearing face masks, we need to remember that our skincare routine needs to be adjusted to take masks and shields into account. Here are a few tips to prevent acne from face masks:
- Avoid makeup, especially on the lower half of your face. This will give your skin more room to breathe.
- Double cleanse your face with a mild cleanser 2x a day, especially after sweating or going long durations wearing your mask.
- When applying face products, use a balm or oil cleanser first, an enzyme or cream cleanser second, and a calming serum last.
- If you've already noticed pimples forming, use an acne patch to keep the mask's friction from irritating the breakout more. I prefer using a salicylic acid treatment
- Keep up good mask hygiene. This means regularly washing your reusable masks, or using a new disposable mask each day.
What if I already struggle with acne?
- Monthly facials and peels are highly recommend to treat acne.
- Gel peels with salicylic acid and mandelic acid are great for cystic acne.
- Eliminate stress. Stress worsens breakouts for people with acne.
- Breakup with makeup and stay consistent to a skincare routine customized for you.